Monday, September 3, 2007

With All Your Mind...

Okay, I love serving God. I love working in the church. I spend 50+ hours a week, investing in the lives of youth, young adults, people of the community...I love giving practical lessons in adult Sunday school on living out the Christian life...I am excited about doing work projects in the neighborhood, mission trips, outreach events...and I am passionate about God-glorifying worship. All the practical, day-to-day grind of ministry and life---believe me, I'm all for it.

But ya know what? I'm also a bookworm. I get inspired and empowered by reading that dense theology of Augustine, Aquinas, Luther, Barth, Bonhoeffer...and even Wesley. My wife laughs at me because I'd rather plow through a philosophy book by Etienne Gilson than watch American Idol (although I was relieved when they booted Sanjaya off). And the spiritual writings of guys like Henri Nouwen, Thomas Merton, Richard Foster and Thomas Kelly have done more for my heart than any talk show, sitcom, or self-help book.

I was converted to the faith by a powerful sermon and a wonderful community of young Christians......but my faith was nurtured by the writings of C. S. Lewis and G. K. Chesterton, and when I was in the classes of atheist professors who tried to disprove everything about the Christian faith, it was Lewis and Chesterton who kept me anchored in the truth.

In "Mere Christianity," C. S. Lewis says that people warned him not to write a book on the doctrines of the Christian faith. "The ordinary reader does not want Theology; give him plain, practical religion." Yet Lewis' book is a classic defense of Christian truth that has maintained respect for over sixty years. Apparently plain, practical religion wasn't enough.

Even St. Paul, the apostle and pastor, gave much practical wisdom and ethical admonitions to his followers....yet his practical advice was always the logical conclusion of his theology. Why should we be humble servants? Because Jesus made Himself nothing and took upon the form of a servant. (Philippians 2:5-7) Why should we love others? Because Christ loved us and gave Himself as a sacrifice for us. (Ephesians 5:1-2) Why should we place Christ above all other authorities? Because He existed before God made anything else and is supreme over all creation. (Colossians 1:15).

Our world today has radically opposing worldviews (or metanarratives, or whatever), all competing for the minds of people....including the worldview that avers that there is no true worldview. In the intellectual confusion today---with multiple opinions, perspectives, and outright lies on the TV every night---how can we tell people to live out the Christian life without telling them Christian doctrine? So many pastors present doctrinal points in sermons in the most simplistic ways because they're afraid that people don't have the attention span, the intelligence, or the interest to grasp things like the Trinity or the Incarnation. If that's the case, why is the DaVinci Code (a book that has chapters full of dense historical and theological material) a bestseller? Why do I sometimes get 15-20 teenagers out for my in-depth bible study, where we really explore the text and look at doctrines like sin, grace, justification, and election? (Although I confess, for some reason I can't get them to enjoy supralapsarianism....)

One of my profs in seminary once said, "If Christian pastors do not engage the minds of their people, they will be at the mercy of those who do." Yes, a heartfelt relationship with God is important. Yes, obedience to God's will is important. And yes, we must preach in a way that our people can understand. But all of this stuff must be rooted in the reality of Who God is and what He has done on our behalf. That, for lack of a better word, is Theology. And we need it more than ever.

7 comments:

Eric Park said...

I couldn't agree more.

By the way, did you hear about the supralapsarian who fell down the stairs?

He simply thanked God that he had finally gotten the experience out of the way!

Jeff Kahl said...

Eric,

Did you hear about the new definition of Theology: "The attempt to explain the unknowable in terms of the not-worth-knowing."

Or how about the new definition of church committee: "A group of the unqualified, appointed by the uninterested, to do the unnecessary."

Didn't Barth say that you have to approach the task of theology with humor?

Cheers......

JRVogt said...

Thanks for dropping by the blog, Jeff. It's great to connect with those who don't see faith and intellectual issues as two bitter enemies. God gave us brains to use them.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Preach it, Rev. Kahl. Preach it.

Randy Roda said...

Thanks for your heart for God and for Theology. I have greatly appreciated your insights and comments. I have learned much and your enthusiasm about these great works and authors is inspiring me to go back to my shelves and get out some of those now dusty books and dig into them again. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jeff Kahl said...

Thanks for the encouragements, Randy and Keith. I know a lot of people will think that intellectual issues aren't important, but I really think they strike the heart of the matter. Christianity is being maligned in the academy, in popular media, in politics, and there are too few Christians standing up and making a credible defense. I know that we should be serving and all that, but Scripture also says that we should be prepared to always give an answer for the hope that is within us.

Chris said...

Jeff,

Nice word...supralapsarianism.