Saturday, September 15, 2007

Time to Serve

This past spring, my senior pastor Mark Stewart attended a large church initiative at a (naturally) large Methodist Church in Alabama. He came back charged up with a zillion new ideas and hasn't stopped sharing them with the staff, leadership and congregation.

One of the key things he has emphasized to us is the principle that in church, every member is expected to serve, and at the large church in Alabama, every member is bombarded with opportunities to share his or her gifts. Obviously this isn't a new idea...I think I read it somewhere in Paul's letters, maybe that Rick Warren guy talked about it in his Purpose-Driven books. But for some reason, when I heard Mark share his thoughts on it time after time, an insight occurred to me:

Why does this only apply to the adults of the church?

Here I am, spending 50% of my job with teenagers, attempting to disciple them to be faithful Christians and members of a church. Why should I merely compartmentalize their experiences of service to a summer mission trip and a couple work projects during the school year? Why shouldn't service be integrated into their whole church experience from the beginning?

So this past summer, after our mission trip, I met with both my junior and senior high groups and gave them a challenge: "If you guys and gals want to be members of the youth group this coming school year, you are expected to serve."

I had sign-up sheets with different categories and specific projects:

WORSHIP/THE ARTS: Be a worship leader when Jeff preaches; join the youth praise band; do the Children's message in Sunday worship; assist with Children's church; join in "Neon Buzz" (Youth Drama Team).

OUTREACH: Help develop youth group website; invite unchurched friends to youth group; help planning local work projects and the summer mission trip.

LEADERSHIP: Serve on SALT (Student-Adult Leadership Team); be a youth representative on COM; lead games or devotions at Youth Group (juniors/seniors only).

FELLOWSHIP: Be a Youth Group Historian (make scrapbooks of youth events); manage the Youth Group Facebook Page; attend the mid-week in-depth bible study.

Two things have surprised me. First, how willingly each youth there signed up for at least one thing. Second, they have (with some gentle prodding) basically kept their commitments. What's amazing is, I'm getting the sense that they are enjoying the fact that they have taken more ownership in the youth group. They no longer come to have ministry done to them by me and other adults...they are ministers themselves. They bring friends to youth activities, and I know part of the reason is that they take pride in the ministry into which they have invested.

Jesus was the Son of God and could do everything on His own, yet He willingly empowered His disciples, saying that they would "do even greater things" than He did (John 14:12). May those of us who lead have that same humility and faith in our flocks, even it means letting them do greater things than we do.

7 comments:

Brett Probert said...

Awesome Jeff...that is GREAT leadership. Keep up the wonderful ministry dude!

Greg Cox said...

I hate it when older adults talk about the "Church of the Future" all the while preventing all members from participating fully. Great work at encouraging the church of today to be in ministry with the saints of the future.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Good stuff. It bothers Robyn and I as well when we hear people say "the children are our future"; they are the PRESENT, and ignoring that may INDEED impact our future.

Jeff Kahl said...

I think it's kind of interesting that so many people use the excuse, "I just don't have time to commit to (fill in the blank)" every time they are asked to do something other than sit in the pews for an hour....yet they always have time for sports, entertainment, etc... Maybe it's because as kids/teens they weren't trained to MAKE time for serving in the church beyond Sunday mornings. When sitting in a pew for an hour is all we've done our whole lives, it's easy to assume that it's all that will ever be expected of us.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Good point.

Randy Roda said...

"I believe the children are our future" isn't that the beginning lines of some cheezy pop song from the 80's?

I agree...youth ministry gets you to the heart of what all ministry should be about.

Unknown said...

Way to go Jeff! I agree with you. After our mission trip in July with the youth, all of the youth that went are now in service around the church as well as most of the youth group.

I also agree with Greg. I say it as much as I can without people getting sick of me saying it. The youth are today's church just as much as grandma and just as much as their baby sister.

Great work for the Kingdom brother! Mark, keep the ideas rolling...