Monday, September 24, 2007

Twenty and Thirty Somethings

In just the two years that I have been here in Gibsonia, I have witnessed tremendous growth in the surrounding community. Ten years ago, the area around the church was, for the most part, still farm country. Today, our stretch of Route 8 is beginning to rival the Cranberry area in terms of new businesses, housing developments...and the need for churches to respond to this growth.

A new shopping center, including a Lowe's and a Target, opened right across the street. Many young families are moving within a half-mile of our property. Bakerstown UMC is in such a prime location and has much resources to do creative ministry. Yet our church has no ministry specifically targeting those twenty- and thirty-somethings and their families.

Until now. God has really laid the burden on my heart to do something about this.

This coming Saturday, we'll be hosting a dinner/fellowship night for the young adults of our church and community. We've gotten a good response to the RSVP request, and we'll probably get a few walk-ins as well. I am praying that it will be an incredible opportunity for people to connect with each other and dream about what ministry can look like here in the future.

Please join me in praying for this. More than anything, I am praying that this will not be just another programmed ministry for another "segment" (aka clique) of the church. Rather, my prayer is that God will use us to be change agents in the church and community, to spark a conversation that will challenge and change the way we think about being followers of Jesus Christ.

I am nervous and humbled, because this is stepping out of the boat of what I've been doing for the past ten years. Although I definitely have my own vision of where I'd like this to go, I'm trying to have no initial expectations, other than that Jesus will keep His word to us and that He will show up where we gather in His Name. I'll keep you all posted on what happens. Till then, cheers................

6 comments:

Brett Probert said...

Sweet. Have you read "Presence Centered Youth Ministry?" Great reading and a helpful way to think about how to better relate to this crowd of people. I'm prayin' for ya dude.

Chris said...

Thanks for sharing Jeff. Let us know how it goes!

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Good for you! Thanks for your initiative! We'll be in prayer!

Greg Cox said...

Talk about strategically positioned ministry! Awesome.

Jeff Vanderhoff said...

Keep up the good work, Jeff! That is such an important group for the church to reach out to, and it sounds like you have a very good plan for getting started.

Brett Probert said...

Still praying...let us know how it goes tonight.