Thursday, May 15, 2008

What Are You Reading?

I don't know about you, but I find that my brain starts to resemble a pile of mush when I go any length of time without delving into a good book. I find I function best when I am absorbing the creative thoughts of other people, or just enjoying a good story. I think I already quoted this on a prior post, but a professor of mine used to say, "Leaders are Learners."

Here's a list of recent books I've enjoyed:

THEOLOGICALLY DEEP:

Hugo A. Meynell, Postmodernism and the New Enlightenment. A Catholic philosopher, Meynell argues that "postmoderns" are correct in their critique of many negative aspects of modernity (for example, their scientism, their utilitarianism that results in consumerism, their naive attitude towards the darker human passions, and their uncritical contempt for traditional ways of thinking). However, he maintains that the alternative offered by postmoderns (especially Derrida, Foucault, Rorty, and Lyotard) is actually worse than the modern. He proposes a third alternative, a "new enlightenment," which strives to rise above the modern-postmodern debate by emphasizing the need for attentiveness, intelligence, rationality, and responsibility in all areas of thought. Definitely not an easy read, but one which greatly helped me to understand the core issues in the current cultural transition.

Kenneth E. Bailey, Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes. Having spent a great deal of his life among traditional Middle Eastern cultural realities, Bailey offers a fresh perspective on Jesus and the four gospels for those of us who have been trained to see them only through a modern Western perspective. This is definitely the magnum opus of a first-rate biblical scholar!

John R. Schneider, The Good of Affluence: Seeking God in a Culture of Wealth. A religion professor at Calvin College, Schneider re-examines and critiques much of the contemporary Protestant understandings of wealth, poverty, and market-driven economics. He challenges the anti-capitalist exegesis propounded by Marxist and Liberation theologies, but he also takes issue with the "simplistic" views of capitalism that are presented by people like Hauerwas, Sider, and Blomberg. No matter what your political and economic views, I'm sure this book will challenge your assumptions about the Bible's teachings on economics!

PRACTICAL MINISTRY:

Mark Dever, The Gospel and Personal Evangelism. Senior pastor at Capitol Hill Baptist Church in Washington, D.C., Dever presents a model of evangelism that is grounded in the proclaimed Word of God, but which also includes the necessity of authentic relationships. Perhaps the most illuminating chapter in the book is entitled "What Isn't Evangelism," which argues that much of what the church passes off as "outreach" is actually not central to the ultimate thrust of the Gospel message. A short and easy read, but definitely worth it!

Alvin L. Reid, Raising the Bar: Ministry to Youth in the New Millennium. In many ways, this book echoes the concerns of several of the excellent texts on youth ministry to be published in recent years. It too advocates a total transformation of how we do youth ministry. I recommend it simply because it focuses on three very basic factors: Pray Hard, Teach Scripture Well, and Live Authentically among the youth. These three factors are central. The other stuff, whether in its modern or postmodern package, is just icing on the cake.

Terry Wardle, Healing Care, Healing Prayer. Wardle is a professor at Ashland Theological Seminary (I have to give a plug for my alma mater!!!). I recommend this book because it skillfully combines biblical spirituality with informed counseling techniques. It is practical and has helpful resource lists for further reading. In having some deep conversations with my youth over the past few months, I have found myself drawing on its concepts and helpful illustrations. It also emphasizes the central role of the Holy Spirit in all healing that is truly Christian.

JUST FOR FUN:

C. S. Lewis, Prince Caspian. In preparation for the movie's release this weekend!

Elizabeth Kostova, The Historian. It was the title that drew my attention (you know, me being a history buff and all). As for the plot, all I'll say it: Dracula a la The DaVinci Code. Check it out!

So....What's on your reading list?!?!?

2 comments:

Brett Probert said...

Under the "Theologically Deep" category, I just finished reading "I Am America, and So Can You" by Steven Colbert. An excellent read!

Jeff Vanderhoff said...

Give it up, Jeff. Your brain looks like mush no matter whether you read or not. Haven't you ever seen a picture of a brain? Maybe you should read more picture books. My recent 'reads' are "Born Standing Up" by Steve Martin (EXCELLENT!), "Christianity for the Rest of us" by Diana Butler Bass (interesting), and "The Gospel According to Starbucks" by Leonard Sweet (INTRIGUING, and best enjoyed with coffee in hand!). I'd like to read the new N.T. Wright book, and some of the books Jeff Bobin highlights on his blog, as we share a common interest in marketing and church leadership. I also read a bunch of magic books, as well as whatever I can find by Stephen King, Tami Hoag, or Patricia Cornwell. Nothing like a good mystery novel!