Thursday, May 22, 2008

There Is A Hope

I just learned of a relatively new praise hymn written by the great Stuart Townend, the British musician who wrote my favorite praise chorus: In Christ Alone. This new praise hymn is entitled There Is A Hope. I viewed a video this morning on the Worship Together website. The music includes accoustical piano and a Celtic flute. That alone transported me to another dimension...maybe to a green pasture in Ireland, maybe to Middle Earth. Not sure where, but it was awesome!

The lyrics are rich, both spiritually and theologically. Here they are:

THERE IS A HOPE
by Stuart Townend and Mark Edwards
Copyright (c) 2007 Thankyou Music.

There is a hope that burns within my heart,
That gives me strength for ev'ry passing day;
a glimpse of glory now revealed in meager part,
Yet drives all doubt away:
I stand in Christ, with sins forgiv'n;
and Christ in me, the hope of heav'n!
My highest calling and my deepest joy,
to make His will my home.

There is a hope that lifts my weary head,
A consolation strong against despair,
That when the world has plunged me in its deepest pit,
I find the Savior there!
Through present sufferings, future's fear,
He whispers, "Courage!" in my ear.
For I am safe in everlasting arms,
And they will lead me home.

There is a hope that stands the test of time,
That lifts my eyes beyond the beckoning grave,
To see the matchless beauty of a day divine
When I behold His face!
When sufferings cease and sorrows die,
and every longing satisfied,
then joy unspeakable will flood my soul,
For I am truly home.

Lord Jesus, May I heed these words this day and every day. May my life be defined by a hope rooted in the truth of Your glorious resurrection. May my dissatisfaction with "life as it is" remind me that I am called by You to embody a vision of life as You would have it. And may I always look forward, knowing that by Your grace, You will indeed lead me home. Amen.

1 comment:

Eric Park said...

Thanks for sharing this with us, Jeff.

Hope, as a theological issue, has been very much on my heart in recent days, especially since the theme of General Conference was this: A FUTURE WITH HOPE.

What kind of hope does the Christ-follower hold?

A hymn like this one reminds us that ours is something more than a sentimental and lazy condition of wishful thinking. Rather, our hope, as Townend makes clear, is nothing less than a transforming "glimpse of glory now revealed in meager part."

Blessings.