Sunday, October 21, 2007

Be Selfish!



"The Weight of Glory" is a sermon by my favorite Christian writer, C. S. Lewis. In just 16 pages, Lewis took my understanding of Christian spirituality to a whole new level.

In a gem of rhetorical irony, Lewis says that the problem with modern people is that they are not selfish enough. This may seem like an odd criticism, especially today with the idols of consumerism and self-interest all around us. But I think Lewis is right. We're not selfish enough.

"Indeed," Lewis writes, "if we consider the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling around with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us."

I worry about keeping everybody around me happy; I desire economic security, job effectiveness, intelligent dialogue with friends, and entertainment. My mind gets distracted with all kinds of thoughts, temptations, and insignificant details. And these things all may be harmless in themselves. But when I spend all my time obsessing over these things, rather than nurturing and growing my relationship with God....well, that's like a 16-year-old wanting to hang onto his dirt bike when he's being offered a convertible. It's settling for something less.

Guys/gals, I don't know about you, but I want to start getting more selfish. I want to desire God and all the infinite joy that comes with being in relationship with Him. Yes, there are challenges, struggles, and sufferings involved in the Christian walk. But as Saint Paul wrote in Romans, "I consider our present suffering as nothing compared to the glory that will be revealed to us."

I want the desire for that glory to empower the way I live my life now. I want to believe that God's vision for me and for this world is worth pursuing. And I want to challenge people who are immersed in this secular, materialistic culture of ours that they are settling for a mess of potage when they are being offered the birthright of children of God.

Personally, I'm recommitting my time to God. That will involve significant time every day in solitude, intercessory prayer for my wife, family, youth, congregation, and the world, and Bible study. I could very easily say that I don't have the time for this...that ministry, my wife, my job, my family all need my time. I'm sure I'll be tempted away from this. But I have to believe that this is the only way that I'll be truly effective at every other aspect of my life.

What about you? What are some ways that you all will try to selfishly desire God in your own lives?

6 comments:

Randy Roda said...

Sometimes you gotta look out for number one...great post!

Unknown said...

Yeah, we're too selfish for the wrong things out there. Thanks Jeff, may I strive to selfishly grow in my walk with the Lord so that I can be used more effectively by God.

God's Grace,
Jeff

Eric Park said...

It's ironic, isn't it, that being "selfish" for God is the only path to discovering a Christ-centered selflessness? I suppose that it is something like what Jesus tells us about losing our lives so that we might find our lives.

At any rate, you've inspired me to pray about how it is that I might seek after God with a more relentless devotion (for the sake of my own soul). Thanks for that.

Jeff Vanderhoff said...

Jeff- like 'finding solitude' is a sacrifice for someone as introverted as you are! Selfish as can be! But that's a good thing. Keep 'em coming, Jeff, I love to read your blog (dictionary in hand!). -Jeff

Jeff Kahl said...

Vanderhoff -

ME? An introvert? Have you seen me when I'm with 50 teenagers or in the pulpit?!? You must be thinking of that punk you used to room with at ATS...He's been dead a long time!

Plus now that I'm taking 2 classes, I WISH I had as much solitude time as you seem to think I do!!!

Kahl

Greg Cox said...

Ohhhhh, I get it. There for a second I thought you were talking about A-Rod getting an even bigger contract!