Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Can't We All Just Get Along? (Yes, I really mean that!)

I have become increasingly frustrated with the polarizing "blame game" that is taking place in America. Our political leadership, which is supposed to represent civil and honest discourse, is among the most guilty. I am sick of hearing everyone blaming George W. Bush for the problems of this country...or blaming the Democratic Congress...or blaming the "rich"...or the media...etc...

I think the American people are sick of it too.

I'm very disappointed with President Bush, but I don't think any intelligent American can honestly believe that he alone is responsible for America's economic crisis...just as I do not believe that Barack Obama is an unpatriotic Muslim who has been too influenced by people like Jeremiah Wright and Bill Ayers.

But there is a meanness about today's political discourse that has left me bitter.

I am not necessarily sold out on Rick Warren and his style of ministry, but I thought the one bright spot in this political campaign was the debate held at Saddleback Church, when both candidates confined themselves to issues and spoke intelligently, passionately, and admirably. They did not take cheap shots at their opponents, nor did they spend an inordinate amount of time blaming anyone else for America's problems. They focused on solutions, and they spoke and acted like gentlemen.

But aside from that, there has been a meanness and a childishness about this election season that is very unsettling.

Yesterday, I read some words by political pundit Mitch Alborn, and they really articulated what I have been thinking and feeling for a while. I hope you'll take the time to read them and ponder how we might communicate it to our congregations. Here's the link:

http://jewishworldreview.com/1008/albom101308.php3

God bless America!

No comments: