Monday, March 17, 2008

How Great Thou ART

Jeff Vanderhoff's remarks in my last post (see below, "No Country for Jeff") have led me to reflect on movies as an art form. As is typical with nerds like me, I ended up pondering an even more philosophical question: What is art? And what is its purpose in our lives?

As Vanderhoff commented in my last post, he would much rather watch a good comedy that gives him a little escape from life, rather than a heavy movie like No Country for Old Men which seems to confuse and frustrate more than clarify and edify.

So what is the purpose of art? Why should we watch movies, listen to music, read books, attend plays? Is it to be entertained? To be instructed? Or to just escape from the "real world" for a while?

In general, I believe there are three views of the purpose of the arts in human existence. I know that we all can come up with many specific reasons for liking specific pieces of art, but what I'm listing are just broad categories about the arts in general.

First, there's the view that art is essentially a "handmaid of religion" - that the purpose of art is almost exclusively for religious expression, worship, and for giving glory and honor to God. In other words, art is justified by its faithfulness in representing religious truth. Simple totem poles, ceremonial dances, and mythical stories in the pre-Christian religions. Gothic cathedrals, passion plays and Gregorian chants of the Middle Ages. Even much of the contemporary Christian music business today. All of those would be examples of this first philosophy of art.

Secondly, there's the view that, fundamentally, the purpose of art is to entertain...that art exists for the sake of the audience. The justification of art is, therefore, its ability to reach people subjectively. In this view, what is being said/portrayed is much less important than how it is being said/portrayed. Most of popular music/literature/art falls into this category, although there are excellent exceptions (U2, The Beatles, etc...). Take pop music for example: most of what is actually communicated is trivial, pedantic, and vulgar, yet it is presented with such fanfare and sensationalism that the audience is simply taken up in the experience of the "show."

Finally, there is the philosophy that art is the concretization of the artist's fundamental views of life: that in the specific media of music, painting, literature, etc..., the artist is communicating a basic understanding of human existence, inviting the audience to enter into that understanding, perceive, and enjoy. In this view, the audience can not sit passively and expect pure entertainment. They must engage the work of art with their mind and heart and, in doing so, attempt to discover the major themes that are actually being communicated.

Take two of my favorite films: Hugh Hudson's Chariots of Fire and David Fincher's Seven. In my opinion, each film presents a certain view about the nature of humanity. Chariots of Fire presents humans as having all the potential to be heroic, to live with integrity, to maintain their core beliefs even in the face of opposition, and ultimately to achieve great success. Seven, on the other hand, presents human life as being hopelessly depraved, in which even those with the best intentions are doomed to either failure, cynicism, or despair. Both films use their stories, characterizations, and cinematography flawlessly to present these views. Neither film is "entertainment for its own sake;" but each, in my opinion, is brilliant in what it seeks to achieve.

In Genesis we are told that God is a Creator, and that humans are made in His image. Therefore, I believe that it is in the nature of human life to want to create, to express our deepest longings and beliefs, and to share those with others. I thank God for the brilliant artists, past and present, who have added much to my mind, heart, and life.

6 comments:

Jeff Vanderhoff said...

When it comes to movies, I like your no. 2 option of entertainment, which is why I was disappointed in "No Country for Old Men" (Or for Keith M - he doesn't appreciate good music!). Art, of course, goes way beyond a movie (although movies can be considered art, Snakes on a Plane being at least one noteworthy exception). When I see a movie, as you noted, I am looking for an escape from the realities and disappointments of life. I want the hero to win, the villian to lose, and everything to be tied up in a neat little bow at the end. Then I can leave the theater and get back to the real world where good people die, questions go unanswered, etc. I don't want a movie to do that for me, I live in a world that does that almost every day already! That said, I can appreciate art as you've described it in all three ways, and I see how movies can fit into those other categories as well. I just don't usually like to watch them if their goal is not to entertain! Thanks for your post!

Jeff Kahl said...

Jeff,

Certainly a valid perspective. I agree with art goes way beyond movies (and many movies are far from being art).

I'd just want to suggest that the best art is not that which allows us to escape from reality: it's that which enables us to see reality more clearly and with a greater passion to make it better.

Jeff

Eric Park said...

I greatly appreciate your analysis, Jeff. Thanks for taking the time to illuminate the nature of cinematic art.

Personally, my relationship with cinema involves an intersection of options 2 and 3 of your analysis. I certainly see film as entertainment (option 2). But I am MOST entertained, not by passive viewing (with all due respect to that approach to movie-going), but by being engaged by the artist's work---even when that work disturbs or challenges me, and even when I don't particularly agree with his or her conclusions (option 3).

Much of this, of course, has to do with one's particular personality and temperament. My personality and temperament make me a person who craves an unsettling artistic engagement. Such an engagement is darned entertaining for me.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Good stuff, Jeff. I've tended to look at art as in some way reflecting or commenting upon the human condition, from the intended or unintended perspective of the artist. Even good action films like Die Hard (which I love) say something, even if it's hidden underneath explosions and gunfire.

I have not yet seen No Country for Old Men but it is on my list.

And, as for Jeff V's comment...part of my problem may be that I only appreciate good music, which means I say a polite, "No thank you" to most country music! I concede that when it comes to musical tastes, I'm a snob...even if that breaks Jeff V's achy breaky heart!

Jeff Kahl said...

Eric -
I like your addition of "even when the work disturbs or challenges." That kind of art, in my opinion, forces us to come to terms (and in some sense even refine) our own perspectives on what life is really all about.

Keith -
Come on, man, give my former roomie a break (even though I agree with you 100%).

Unknown said...

Jeff,

Great post. Art gives me an opportunity to visualize something that I may never have imagined on my own. I liked your ending saying God is our Creator and that we are created in His image. I love to see God's creativity at work in the lives of others through worship, films, print and in other means. Have a blessed weekend.