Monday, February 11, 2008

Serious Business

I was reminded recently of quotes by two of my favorite writers:

"Man cannot exist without having the capacity for laughter." - St. Thomas Aquinas

"Joy is the serious business of heaven." - C. S. Lewis

For some people, having a sense of humor is as easy as choosing a presidential candidate. OK, bad example. Let's try that again. For some people, having a sense of humor is as easy as 1, 2, 3.

Now for the record, I do derive much enjoyment from my wife, from working with youth, from reading for pleasure. But if you've read any of my blogs, you know that I sometimes view life with a degree of seriousness that would make the prophet Jeremiah look like Jerry Seinfeld (not that there's anything wrong with that...).

My tendency to dwell on the negative in certain situations, or to over-analyze, is well-documented by my friends and family. Part of it is undoubtedly the result of my status as the oldest-child with the over-achiever syndrome. Perhaps some of it is that Catholic guilt of my upbringing, which I learned while kneeling in the confessional booth or looking up at Jesus' accusing eyes from the crucifix. I'm sure a professional psychologist could unearth tons of unconcious motivations as well.

So what's my point?

I've come to realize that a crucial spiritual discipline in my Christian walk is the discipline of having a sense of humor. I don't think you'll find that anywhere in the writings of Richard Foster or Henri Nouwen...certainly not a systematized discipline advocated by any theological tradition. But that doesn't negate the fact that it is spiritually necessary for me to simply sit back and have a good laugh, to acknowledge that there is nothing on this earth so important that it should fully take away the joy of living as a child of God.

Thomas Aquinas actually argued that the sense of humor is one dimension of the Image of God in human beings; it allows us to rise above the struggles of life and see all of this world with a sense of levity and hope. Likewise, Chesterton once wrote that "laughter has something in it in common with the ancient winds of faith and inspiration...it makes people forget themselves in the presence of something greater than themselves; something that they cannot resist."

How do I attempt (with varying degrees of success) to integrate this discipline into my life?

First, I try to watch some TV just for the sake of the humor. Shows like The Office, Seinfeld reruns, and Mad TV are at the top of the list.

Second, in my journaling I try intentionally to recall the lighter moments of the day: a humorous observation, a sarcastic comment from our incredible church secretary, or my own stupid mistakes that I'm able to laugh about now.

Finally, I try to surround myself with friends who breathe real joy into my spirit, who allow me to take my focus off of my burdens and just be Jeff.

What are some practices that bring joy and laughter into your heart and life?

May God keep us all in the serious business of joy and laughter, so our spirits never become so heavy that they fail to rise in worship of Him.

8 comments:

Eric Park said...

Preach it, brother!

In fact, preach on with your bad self.

Although, I must admit, I am still hung up on the image of the prophet Jeremiah wearing the puffy shirt.

And the image of Jeremiah "yadda, yadda, yadda-ing" instead of actually breaking the earthen flask!

And the image of Jeremiah describing God as "the master of his domain" and people snickering over the double entendre!!!

Please, help me to stop!!!!!!!!

Jeff Kahl said...

Or the image of Jeremiah preaching against medical professionals who convert to the faith solely for the jokes? That darn anti-Dentite!

Unknown said...

Ha! Ha! To keep laughing, I try to stay close to my kids, the kids of the church and yes, my covenant group.

Brett Probert said...

Good stuff Jeff. Honestly, my blog and frequent butthead comments on everyone else's is one way I get to practice humor.

Jeff Kahl said...

This is probably a very irreverent offering, but there is one other thing I do to keep my humor. There is a book by Charles Merrill Smith called "How To Become A Bishop Without Being Religious." Written back in the 50's, it is a BITING satire about church politics, church business, and the ways in which we sacrifice truthfulness for the sake of politeness and tolerance. I think it's even more true today than when it was first written. Any of you guys want to borrow it, just let me know! It's hilarious!

Brett Probert said...

count me in....i'd love to read it!!!

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I've read that book; good stuff. Excellent post!

smkyqtzxtl said...

Be like a child, Do art, make music, play a game, read a book for the fun of it, hum a lot...That's what I do.