Friday, December 7, 2007

Preaching to the Choir

For my personal devotions, I'm reading a book by Brennan Manning entitled A Glimpse of Jesus. Just today I came across a sentence that totally resonated deep within me...I felt like Brennan was personally describing me when he wrote that sentence. Does this sound like any of you?

"In preaching the Gospel I have been graced to speak fearlessly in the knowledge and conviction that the Word of God must not be fettered, compromised, or watered down; but in my personal life, my fears and insecurities continue to lead me voraciously to seek the approval of others, to assume a defensive posture when I'm unjustly accused, to feel guilty over refusing any request, to doggedly live up to others' expectations, to be all things to all people in a way that would make St. Paul shudder."

Thank God for men like Brennan Manning who have the insight to discern the destructive motives that often undergird much of our ministry work, and who challenge us to just "get over it" and live in the reality of God's grace.

1 comment:

Eric Park said...

Manning's description of pastoral behavior reminds me of a Stanley Hauerwas quote.

Hauerwas once said that one of the greatest and most frequently unnamed sins against the church is committed by "pastors allowing themselves to become quivering masses of availability."