Friday, November 30, 2007

Praying our Theology

Austin Farrer (1904-1968) was Doctor of Divinity and fellow of Trinity College, Oxford. He was good friends with C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien, and a member of their discussion group, "The Inklings." Although not nearly as famous as his friends, he was a published and highly respected theologian.

Recently I read a quote of his that deserves attention: "No doctrine deserves its place unless it is prayable, and no Christian deserves his doctrines if he does not pray them."

A remarkable insight, which reminded me of another quote by Saint Augustine: "The theologian is a person whose prayers are true."

Isn't it amazing how often in our personal lives, in our churches, and perhaps especially in seminary, we separate these two disciplines?

We often treat (and present) theology as a boring, cerebral enterprise in which only the "learned" can engage. We often use it as a means of confirming our own presuppositions, drawing distinct boundaries beyond which no "true believer" may go. And we certainly do not present it to our congregations as something that has any practical value for everyday life.

Conversely, how frequently are our prayers little more than sentimental "gift lists" offered up to a benign Deity Who (we think) should give us whatever we ask for? Does the language of our prayers ever represent a real recognition of Who it is we are talking to? Do our prayers express our hope in God's will, or are they mere expressions of our will?

After reading Farrer's quote and remembering Augustine's, I decided to share a couple examples of what my prayer life has included lately. I hope it'll inspire you to make your prayers good theology, and to make your theology a prayerful longing for intimacy with God.

INCARNATION: "Lord Jesus, at a specific moment in history, You poured Yourself out of the glorious heavenly realms and entered into the world of humans. Not just a generic humanity. You had a specific appointment among a specific people, with real hopes and aspirations, as well as real needs and hurts. You fully identified with those people, walking among the most desperately in need of help, You touched them, You visited them, You wept with them. I am Your disciple, Jesus, so help me to do what You did in this very specific appointment that I have among a very specific people. Take away my desire to remain in my comfort zones. May I so enter their world and identify with them that they may know, without me saying a word, that I love them unconditionally, and through me, may they come to know You as well."

THE TRINITY: "Almighty God, You who are not only One but Three, You have much to say to my culture that is so overcome with a mentality of individualism. If even You, the Ultimate Reality, exist in comunity, how much more important is it for us humans to exist in community? To draw strength and wisdom from our brothers and sisters? To exist in common purpose with others, even though we might have different personalities, functions, and distinctive gifts? Grant me the wisdom to know that in life, and in ministry especially, I can not pridefully act as a Lone Ranger, but must humbly recognize the need to depend on others."

2 comments:

Eric Park said...

Thanks for leading us so beautifully in prayer, Jeff.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Excellent post; deep truths!