Sunday, July 1, 2007

Down from the Mountaintop

Well, I survived a whole week up at Wesley Woods with all those energetic, hormone-filled teenagers. What an experience! I will limit myself to just a few observations, as I could undoubtedly ramble on for some time...

1 - Jesus Christ is just plain amazing! He was present throughout that week of ministry, I saw Him challenge, encourage, and uplift every single camper and counselor who was there. Our evening worship services were some of the best that I've ever experienced. And when we had a few unexpected emergencies (like when our beloved bus Shamgar broke down...twice) Jesus reminded us that He was in control of that camp and that He'd take care of everything.

2 - I had the opportunity to work with incredible, godly men and women whose love for Christ is contagious and who blessed me with their presence. Doug "Fluffy" Beitner is a wonderfully talented yet humble man who is an asset to Wesley Woods. Rev. Bob Zilhaver impressed me as a genuine pastor, and I hope he reads this and knows that I heard his words to me and am actively considering them. I absolutely loved working with Deb and Moki Decker every day...they have such joyful, generous spirits. And as for the chaperones I dragged up there: Ali Lapp, Dan Pouchot, Kevin McGrath, and Randy Lucas --- I just couldn't ask for better helpers, and I am so grateful for their commitment to the youth ministry at Bakerstown.

3 - I had the opportunity to witness 37 high school youth create a genuine spiritual community for a week, and also work together to do a small part in building God's kingdom on earth. Teens who I thought were shy unexpectedly came out of their shells. Others who I thought were kind of lazy literally busted their rear-ends to get the work done that needed to get done. And some of the "clowns" got serious about Jesus. I agree with my chaperone, Ali Lapp, who said that if there are more teenagers like these ones in the world, they can truly make our nation and our world a better place.

4 - The highlight of the week for me was being on Lake Erie at sunset on Friday evening, and participating in a baptism and communion service. The beauty of God's creation was matched by the beauty of the two sacraments instituted by the Lord Jesus...Everyone was literally immersed in a visible display of God's creative and redemptive love for humanity. No PowerPoint presentation, praise band, or sermon could ever recreate the transcendence of that moment.

So now I am down from the mountaintop, but I retain in my mind and heart a renewed vision of God's purpose for me, for those He has entrusted to my care, and for the church. And if I can summarize my current feelings in one word, it would be: GRATITUDE.

Soli Deo Gloria.

4 comments:

Eric Park said...

Thanks for sharing the experience with us.

It sounds like it was nothing short of kairotic.

Randy Roda said...

Good meeting you...Jeff.

Chris said...

I pray your valley experience is as fruitful as the mountain top.

Unknown said...

Praise God for the mountain top experiences. Good to meet you Jeff and blessings on your ministry.