Saturday, February 13, 2016

Soul Music

If you look to the right column of this blog, right under the "About Me" section, you'll notice that "My Other Passion" is music...specifically, playing and composing pieces for piano.



I started taking lessons at age eight when, every Saturday morning at 10:30 am, my grandfather would take me to King's Music in Downtown Sharon, PA, where I would take a half-hour lesson with Jeff Wachter.  Jeff's lessons with me went beyond mere piano playing: he taught me music theory, he showed me how to read and interpret orchestral scores, and he patiently coached me through some of my early attempts at composing.

I took lessons faithfully for eight years, until my sixteen-year-old ego determined that I didn't need anyone to teach me anything anymore.  Of course I still played all the time.  I accompanied the high school choir, and when all my relatives converged upon my small home for various family get-togethers, they would bribe me into providing crowd-pleasing entertainment.  (I had to learn Sinatra songs and specific old Catholic hymns because certain Italian aunts demanded it...and one other relative insisted that I learn the theme to The Young and the Restless.)

In college I had the great blessing of studying under Elizabeth Pastor.  She was a total prodigy--she had studied with some of the greatest piano teachers herself (Beryl Rubenstein and Arthur Loesser), and performed with the Cleveland, Boston, and Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestras, just to name a few.  Although I didn't major in music, she graciously accepted me as a student, and from her I received a rigorous (that's putting it rather mildly) training in classical performance.

I know several individuals over the years who have asked me why I did not make music my vocation.  My answer is always that I view music more as an avocation: not something to earn money, but something to feed and edify my own soul.  In my time working with teenagers I gave piano lessons to some interested students, and I use my musical gifts in church when I'm able.  But the music I like to play and compose is more for my own personal expression...not to win fans.

Unfortunately, when the busyness of life overtakes me, I often find myself unable to make the time to use this gift.  Lately I was reminded of how empty my own soul can feel when that is the case.  Perhaps each of you has his or her own "avocation" that feeds your soul and you can relate.  If so, will you join me in promising ourselves that we will make time--whatever it takes--to keep that "soul music" in our lives?  To do that one thing about which we can say, "This gives me life"?

My personal commitment is that I will go back to composing.  On this Valentine's Day, I'd like to share with you a piece (click the title below) that I composed ten years ago for my wedding day.  My bride inspired it just by being her.  I hope it might inspire you too.  Blessings...................................

"Cherith" by Jeffrey M. Kahl




No comments: